Saturday 3 March 2018

Short-eared Owl


  • This cold weather is certainly bringing some unusual sightings with a Short-eared Owl another first for the site. I went to fill the feeders up in the conservation area when I heard Blackbirds and Magpies mobbing something in the grass behind small pond , when to my amazement a Short-eared Owl flew out and turned and headed straight over the houses. Really angry with myself I couldn't react quick enough with my camera. No sign of yesterday's redhead Smew but female Goldeneye and pair of Shoveler. Also seen this morning were two Hawfinch , three Brambling , Snipe , Lesser Redpoll and plenty of Redwing and Fieldfare everywhere. Single Cormorant and Grey Heron , twelve Great Crested Grebe's and three Little Grebe's. Marks added two Dunlin , Grey Wagtail, five Fieldfare , eleven Redwing , four Lapwing , nine Bullfinch , pair Gadwall and Siskin to this morning's list. I visited again at 16-00 after work and managed to see the two Dunlin flying around , also pair Shoveler and Gadwall still but no sign of the reported Smew. I will be down early morning again before work.  Birdguides report at 16-00 says Smew still present ?????
Images below are of the two Dunlin taken by Brian Hicks.
Dunlin ( B Hicks).
Dunlin (B Hicks).

No comments:

Post a Comment